Wappen Stadt Norderstedt
Icon deutschIcon english

Suche |


A concise history of the city

Norderstedt was formed on 1 January 1970 on the orders of the federal state government. To this end, the municipalities of Friedrichsgabe, Garstedt (district if Pinneberg), Glashütte and Harksheide (district of Storman) were merged. This makes Norderstedt a very young city, but the history of the four founding municipalities goes back a long way.

The development of the municipalities was greatly influenced by their proximity to Hamburg and by their location on the Harksheide – until the 19th century, the Harksheide was the largest expanse of heath- and moorland in Holstein.

As it happens, the first mention of Garstedt (1370) and Harksheide (1374) can be found in the ledgers of the Hamburg finance department. A connecting element for the area was the Ochsenzoll. From the mid-16th century to the mid-19th century, oxen were driven through the Harksheide and to the border with Hamburg, where duty on the oxen had to be paid. At first, the Ochsenzoll, which literally translates as “the oxen customs”, was on the Garstedt side, around the end of Ulzburger Straße. In 1840, it was moved to the Harksheide side, to the beginning of Langenhorner Chaussee. Here the first permanent customs office was built.  In 1867, Schleswig-Holstein became a Prussian province, and the customs office was closed.

From the 15th century, Ochsenweg [the oxen path] through the Harksheide made up the border between the Pinneberg domain (Garstedt) and the Tangstedt/Tremsbüttel area (Harksheide). Ochsenweg, and later on Ulzburger Straße, remained the border between Garstedt/Friedrichsgabe and Harksheide until Norderstedt was founded in 1970.

Until 1920, the four communities had very different and individual histories. Then the development of the villages became quite similar.

Norderstedt Wappen



City coat of arms, city colours

Coat of arms:
Quartered in blue and silver with red centre shield holding a compass rose with a fleur-de-lis.
Blue, white, red